2010/06/28

Day 5 and Day 6

Day 5
I couldn't fall asleep at first naps but I wasn't feeling tired too. Everything was fine until last nap. I slept from 12:40 AM to 2 AM. When I woke up I felt really groggy.

Mental performance: 7
Physical performance: 10
Social performance: 9
Alertness: 6
Will: 8
Total hours slept: 3 hours 10 minutes

Day 6
My day started fantastic. At my 8:40-9:00 nap I actually saw a dream. That means ... REM sleep!. I couldn't sleep at my 2. 3. and 4. nap. I don't know if I slept at my 5. nap. See, if you don't have the REM sleep it's very difficult to rembember if you slept or not. It's like microsleeps. But that morning nap was great. Dream was very vivid and strange I still laugh whenever I rembember it. It was about to turn into a lucid dream. At the last nap I slept for an extra hour. I always oversleep at the last nap. Also until the last nap I felt really sleepy. My alertness hit 4 (If you need to know the number) and I was like "aaah there are only 17 minutes left". My eyes were tired so much, I wanted to sew my eyes shut. I was too sleepy to go to chair I ended up sleeping at my long sofa.

But that sleepy and groggy feeling I got after my last nap means I'm adapting. Didn't make any sense? When you are monophasic if you take short naps like 20 minutes you won't even feel the sense of sleeping. You might be refreshed a little bit if you managed to sleep. But when you are polyphasic if you sleep for long hours you will feel groggy and much more sleepy. Whenever I slept for 1 hour or more than 1 hour I felt better. But now I feel awful.

Mental performance: 10 (after last nap 6)
Physical performance: 10 (after last nap 8)
Social performance: 7 - I have a reputation for weirdness
Alertness: 10 (after last nap 4)
Will: 8
Total hours slept: 2 hours 40 minutes

About that social performance thingy. Now people around me started hearing about what I do. Most of them know one thing about sleeping and it's wrong. "WE NED 2 SLEEP 8 HOURS EACH DAI. THAZ WUT SCIENCE SEZ" So it's a pain in the ass the explain all this. I start explaning from zero and at the end of it I get the "GTFH and get some sleep" look.

A six-year study of more than one million adults ages 30 to 102 has shown that people who get only 6 to 7 hours a night have a lower death rate. Individuals who sleep 8 hours or more, or less than 4 hours a night, were shown to have a significantly increased death rate compared to those who averaged 6 to 7 hours.
Stole this one from here


Sleep less, live longer? Sleep is full of mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment